Welcome to my April 2019 blog report! I have long admired all the bloggers who are transparent about their finances, education, experiences, and blogging struggles. I hope to be just as open as some of my favorite veteran bloggers.
Taking Control and Finding Balance April 2019 Blog Posts:
Blog Metrics I’m Tracking in April 2019:
Email Subscribers: 0
Bounce Rate: 55%
Average Time Spent: 3 minutes
Pinterest: 25 followers (you can follow me at https://www.pinterest.com/takingcontrolandfindingbalance)
Twitter: 0 followers (you can follow me at https://twitter.com/SarahTCFB)
April 2019 Blog Income and Expense Report
I’m a firm believer in paying for quality content to help me out. Since I want this to be a business down the line, I’m in the red for this month and will remain that way for a little while.
- Product: $0
- Affiliate: $0
- Ads: $0
- Sponsored Posts: $0
|Do It Scared||0||4/4/2019|
|The 12 Week Blog Growth Strategy||34||4/5/2019|
|Ready Made Pinterest Templates||27||4/5/2019|
|Content Creation + Brainstorming (Video)||12||4/12/2019|
|Master Your Blog Post Images||15||4/14/2019|
|Just Start Podcasting||0||4/15/2019|
|Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers||0||4/28/2019|
|Pin Practical Boost [GBTK 2018]||0||4/28/2019|
|Ultimate Homemaking Bundle||17.98||4/29/2019|
|Be Your Own Inspiration||0||4/29/2019|
|Healthy Moving Focus Class Bundle||0||4/29/2019|
Building a Better Blog Walkthrough and Education
Elite Blog Academy
When I started Taking Control and Finding Balance in 2016, I originally made it using Abby Lawson’s fantastic (but recently retired) Building a Framework ebook. At the same time, I started reading a lot of other finance bloggers who wrote quite frequently about the transformative power of Elite Blog Academy. It was Rosemarie Groner’s income reports and testimonials that convinced me to take advantage of a super secret EBA 3.0 pre-sale in December 2016.
Since EBA 3.0 went live in early 2017, I’ve been trying to get through the course with varying success. But as I’ve detailed elsewhere on this site, my blogging journey was derailed by physical and mental health challenges. In 2018, I did start seriously working through EBA and made it into Unit 5 before the depression became too much. The release of EBA 4.0 in March 2019 became the much-needed kick in the pants for me to start over.
I finished Unit 1 in March and completed Unit 2 in early April. Even though Unit 1 and Unit 2 tend to be the units that take the longest for most folks, my avatar from last summer and my pillar content from last year were still incredibly relevant. So I updated my pillar content and wrote some new posts for April. I even got ahead of myself by scheduling my posts well into April.
EBA in April
However, I spent April focusing on working through the following parts of Elite Blog Academy, Unit 3 and Unit 4. Working through Unit 3 this time was more fascinating than last time. For one thing, I pushed my boundaries and asked for feedback from so many more folks than last time, including my nearest and dearest family members. The feedback I received was mostly constructive and fairly easy to implement.
Unit 4 was a breeze compared to units 2 and 3 this time because it hadn’t changed much from EBA 3.0. As a result, it helped that I had already installed the Yoast SEO plug-in and optimized my content for Google while I was publishing it.
Next Steps for My Blog
The next step for May (and June) will be Unit 5 with a huge focus on email and figuring out how to put my ConvertKit subscription to good use (and to take advantage of their awesome training). If you’re interested in checking them out, you can join them via my affiliate link (at no additional cost to you). I have several awesome email courses to help supplement EBA’s training including Irresistible Email, Date My List, and List Love that I will be going through over the next couple of months.
Building a Better Blog Resources: April 2019
These are the tools, resources, and courses that I used to supplement EBA units 1-3 over the last few months in the course of my re-launch. Most of these links are affiliate links which means I will earn a small commission on any purchases you choose to make through these links (at no additional cost to you). Since I own dozens of courses and ebooks, I’m only recommending the ones that I find or found the most useful in establishing a blog today.
Overall courses (available now since EBA is currently unavailable!):
- FREE: The Blog Plan – (Enroll here)
- *Blog by Number – (Purchase course here)
- Your Blogging University – (See all courses offered here)
- Note: By Number courses marked with a * can be purchased in the following bundles:
- Beginning Bundle – Blog, Niche by Number courses, PicMonkey, 200 Stock Photos (See what’s included here)
- 5 Course Bundle – Niche, Theme, Blog, List, Ebook by Number courses (See what’s included here)
- Advanced Bundle – Theme, Ebook, List by Number courses (See what’s included here)
- VIP Bundle – 13 Courses (See what’s included here)
- Note: By Number courses marked with a * can be purchased in the following bundles:
General Blogging and Productivity Tools
- 10 Hour Time Block Strategy – (Purchase workbook here)
- FREE: ROI – Time Log for Bloggers – (Enroll here)
- FREE: 3 Strategies to Stop Feeling So Overwhelmed – (Watch webinar here)
- Ultimate Productivity Bundle 2019 – (Purchase bundle here)
- Living Well Spending Less Planner – (Purchase planner here)
- Living Well Spending Less Printables – (Purchase printables here)
Building a Blog From Scratch: The Technical Bits
- See this post: 7 Quick Tips to Build a Better Blog From Scratch
- FREE: 3 Steps to Start that Blog You’ve Been Dreaming Of – (Watch webinar here)
- FREE: 5 Days to a Successful Blog Launch – (Enroll here)
- Bluehost Hosting/Domain – (Subscribe here) – good starter blog host
- Siteground Hosting/Domain – (Subscribe here) – my current host and recommendation
- FREE: Imark Interactive WordPress for Beginners – (Enroll here)
- FREE: First Month Blog Plan – (Enroll here)
- *Niche by Number – (Purchase course here)
- The One Hour Content Plan – (Buy it on Amazon)
- *Post by Number – (Purchase course here)
- Keyword Research Coaching Call – (Purchase coaching call here)
- Write a Better Post Coaching Call – (Purchase coaching call here)
- Content Creation 101 – (Purchase course here)
Graphic Design – Blog Visuals
- Restored 316 Themes – (See themes here) – I love how beautiful the Restored 316 themes are and own several of them. The current theme on my blog is Anchored. They have a ton of support for the themes with videos and a responsive customer service team). There is also a very active Facebook group.
- Studiopress Genesis Parent Theme – (Buy parent theme, hosting, and child themes here) – I love Genesis as it’s super simple to swap out the child themes at any times – they also have a very robust hosting plan called WP Engine and 35ish child themes that work with Genesis.
- Elegant hemes: Home of Divi, a powerful theme done via page blocks – best for the techy crowd.
- *Theme by Number – (Purchase course here) – Note: This is only for use with the Divi theme.
- FREE: Monthly Haute Stock Images – (Sign up here) – I signed up for this newsletter for Haute Stock and upgraded to a membership last year. It’s worth it.
- Haute Stock – (Purchase a subscription here) – up until now, this has definitely been the best yearly subscription that I have.
- *200 Stock Photos – (Purchase stock photos here)
Ultimate Photography Bundle 2018 (expires 6/30/19) – (Purchase bundle here)
- *FREE: How to Use Picmonkey as a Mom Blogger – (Enroll in free training here) – Suzi is a pro and this is a great free workshop on using Picmonkey.
- FREE: Canva 101 Workshop – (Enroll in workshop here) – Kara explains Canva so well and this is a good starting point.
- Canva Design Masterclass – (Enroll in the Masterclass here) – Again, Kara is terrific with her explanations of how to make Canva work and this is a really in-depth class.
General graphic design:
- FREE: Design Your Blog Growth Challenge – (Enroll in the free challenge here) – This is a great quick challenge to help you get started on growing your blog.
- Graphic Design for Bloggers: Workshop – (Purchase workshop here) – Happily, this is an extended version of Kara’s Design Your Blog Growth Challenge.
- Create a Viral Image Coaching Call – (Purchase coaching call here)
- FREE: Pinterest Templates – Caroline Vencil – (Enroll here)
- Pinterest Templates – Caroline Vencil – (Purchase templates here)
- The Complete Bloggers Template Toolkit – (Purchase toolkit here) – This toolkit includes all kinds of really awesome graphics templates including social media, logos, opt-ins, etc.
Building a Better Blog – April 2019 Final Thoughts:
In some ways, April 2019 was an excellently productive month as I was able to get through Units 2-4 and get ahead of myself on most of my April content. Still, I know there are things that I will have to go back and bulk up on. These are the things I want to see improve – create even more pins for each post and dig a lot deeper into SEO. I’m also hoping that the Sticky Blogging course that starts in May will be particularly useful for getting faster about creating content and also finding ways to make my posts longer.
P.S. Please share this report on Twitter to help out other bloggers.