Is there any season better than spring? In Boston, the benefits of spring coming mean the cherry blossoms are coming back, the swan boats start running again in Public Gardens, and the shedding of our big winter parkas.
Until I moved to Boston in 2012, I had never lived in a place with a proper spring. In Southern California, fall, winter, spring, and summer were basically one big mash-up of ranges between chilly, cool, warm, hot, and humid all year long. The six years I spent in Spokane was made up of two seasons: winter (October through May snow) and summer (105 degrees from May through October).
The concept of a proper spring was transformative to me and quickly made it clear that spring is the best season. It’s also the season where I feel the most positive and upbeat about my life.
There are many reasons why spring is undervalued compared to summer, fall, and winter. Still, spring is absolutely the most beneficial and valuable season.
So what makes spring so beneficial to our spirits?
The Benefits of Spring
- Late Sunshine
- Animal Babies
- Spring Fashion – I personally recommend the 2019 Spring Style Challenge (affiliate link) from Get Your Pretty On to learn about the latest spring fashion.
- Putting Away Winter Clothes
- Spring Colors
- Increased Productivity and Activity
The Top Ten Benefits of Spring
- Nature – The advent of spring means the world is full of color again after the dreary, dark winter. The prettiest parts of the season, trees, flowers, sunshine make you feel uplifted and joyful.
- Renewal – For many of us, spring is the season of renewal. Not only is everything blooming, but lots of us feel like new people when spring comes. My spirit is renewed by nature, by the sight of so many people outside, by the smell of wet grass, the breeze from my long-closed bedroom window. For some folks, that feeling of renewal leads to doing things outside our comfort zone, something that mental health folks advocate.
- Late Sunshine – With the time change in early March, the late sunshine stands out as a godsend. Instead of arriving at and leaving from work in the pitch dark (and cold wind), the sun shines so much earlier and stays out so much later. Spring brings the longest days of the year. Already with the time change, I’ve noticed how lovely it is to do indoor water fitness with the sunshine outside … and to be able to leave the gym at 7:30 with the sun still out.
- Outdoors – Spring also brings all of the outdoor activities and events. Suddenly, businesses are putting their tables outdoors for meals. Every bench in every park or green space is full of people reading, talking, or just enjoying outside. Folks abandon their treadmills and iffy public transit to walk everywhere.
- Animal Babies – As much as I talk about renewal and nature, I’m a real sucker for the animal babies that come out of spring. It’s kitten season, of course, but there are also baby ducklings, baby bunnies, and baby geese. Basically, give me all the cute babies to look at.
- Spring Fashion – There is no fashion more appealing to me than the spring fashion that emerges from the heavy winter coats. As a now veteran style challenge member of Alison Lumbatis’s terrific seasonal style challenge, Get Your Pretty On (affiliate link), I can definitely say that spring has my favorite fashion trends. In particular, I’m deeply fond of the pretty floral dresses, the lightweight scarves, and all the white clothes and shoes.
- Putting Away Winter Clothes – I adore ditching the heavy coats, boots, and sweaters with the coming of spring. Instead of wearing fleece, down, and cashmere, we get to wear lightweight cotton and sandals. Frankly, it’s also better for my weigh-in days, too.
- Spring Colors – I mentioned the white florals, jeans, and shoes. Even more than white, the bright, shining pastels of spring give me such joy to wear. Even though I wear pink and lighter colors all year long, it’s so much better to pair pink and baby blue and lavender with the sunshine. The colors of spring are just so much more appealing to me.
- Fruit – As much as I love bananas and apples, spring brings fresh fruits into the store. Then, the cost comes down. Rather than spending $8 on a pound of strawberries, stores are starting sell 2 pounds of strawberries for $2.50. My favorite cut melons are $3 dollars less as well.
- Increase in Productivity and Activity – Just like New Year’s, spring makes everyone a little more goal-oriented and more active. It’s part of the sense of renewal that I mentioned earlier. Spring cleaning, swimsuit weight loss, and baseball illuminate the effect of spring on our goals and activity.
The Benefits of Spring
All these reasons (and more) re-energize us and uplift our spirits after the long darkness of November, December, January, February, and the beginning of March. These benefits illustrate why spring is the best season.
What are your favorite things about spring? Let me know in the comments.